Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Look what I missed!


Lois and Liz both called me today to tell me to go and look at the clouds outside! I went to look and I couldn't see them from our house so we drove into town but it was too late! OH how I wish I could of seen it!

This was posted on our local newspapers website:

A cloud formation over Port Townsend Bay featured a “circumhorizontal arc” for about an hour around noon Wednesday, June 25. It's not a rainbow in the normal sense - it is caused by light passing through high-altitude cirrus clouds. The phenomenon occurs only when the sun is high in the sky, and the hexagonal ice crystals that make up cirrus clouds must be shaped like thick plates with their faces parallel to the ground, according to a National Geographic report. - Photo by Ben Herndon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh I've seen these before and it is so cool to read what they actually are. They are SO trippy, especially watching the cloud move through the colors. Hazardous when you are driving though!

We had a rainbow the other day whose ends you could actually see, like in front of a building, it was so luminous, really strange, everybody was commenting on it!
Hugs!