Wednesday, August 26, 2009

TOMATOES!

A Few years ago my friend Jennifer Geldard was here visiting and she made these tomatoes for us. I had forgotten how to make them so I asked her for the recipe and just thought I would share them with you! They are so yummy! So here is the recipe along with some photos of the ones I roasted today!

Roasted tomato recipe:

Ingredients:

as many tomatoes as u like
olive oil
salt
pepper
whatever spices you like...I use a garlic mix like Mrs. dash cause I'm lazy.
fresh basil - chiffonade ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiffonade)
goat cheese
baguette

I started making this with small plum tomatoes during the off season, but seeing as all those lovely tomatoes are in season now, you want to cut a normal sized tomato into 3 chunks (each about the size of a small plum tomato). You can also use cherry tomatoes, but the tomatoes shrink when you cook them, and you'll have to use a bunch per serving.... but use whatever you have!

Remove the seeds and liquid... I just squeeze them, and scoop it out with my hands.

Toss the tomatoes in the olive oil, salt, pepper and spices

Spread them out in one layer in a roasting pan

Roast for 3 or 4 hours at 250 degrees. You can shorten this by bumping up the temp to 325 or so....it's still good, just not quite as good.I know that sounds vague- it's always different depending on what tomatoes you use. Just keep an eye on them....they should shrink quite a bit in size, and deepen in color and flavor.....mmmmmmmm.

Remove the pan from the oven and move the tomatoes onto a serving plate. Retain any leftover oil and juices.( the slower you roast the tomatoes, the more juices you'll have) Unwrap a hunk of goat cheese and put it next to the tomatoes.... dribble oil and juices over the goat cheese. Sprinkle the basil over the tomatoes.

Slice the baguette and serve with the tomatoes...... one slice of baguette smeared with goat cheese + a tomato or two on top = heaven.

I have found that I really prefer the yellow tomatoes for this...

sliced and seeded......

seasoned and put in the roasting pan....

roasted......

well I almost forgot to take a photo of the finished product..... by the time I did remember they were almost gone!

Thank you Jen for this wonderful recipe! I hope you all enjoy them and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Andrea....
first time on your wonderful blog...
can't wait to try out this recipe...

Melanie and I will be in the Seattle area next week ... hope you can get together with us for lunch...sounds like we are going to have a great group get together for her..
soon
mona & the gaffer girls

pam ferrari said...

sounds yummieeeeeeeeeeee!